Thursday, June 18, 2009

CHRISTIAN RESPONSE

Scripture: Romans 12:17 "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody" NIV

The story is told of a man named Sunny in Massachusetts many years ago who found his Christian neighbor's horse in the middle of his field. He was so angry about it that he determined to get even. He took the horse to the public pound.

Sunny met the owner of the horse, Mr. Hale, soon after. Sunny told him what he had done with the horse and added, "If I catch him there again, I will do the same thing."

Mr. Hale replied, "Well, the other night I looked out my window and saw your cattle in my field. I took your cattle and drove them over to your house --- put them in the barn --- and fixed your gate. If I catch them there again, I will absolutely do the same thing."

Sunny was reportedly so struck with Mr. Hale's Christian reply that he at once took the horse out of the pound and paid the charges himself.

Many times it is difficult to restrain from retaliation when confronted by an unkind act. My natural response is to repay evil for evil! But Jesus has a better way. He clearly states in the Bible to do good to those who persecute you. Think of the impact if every Christian repaid an evil act with compassion and kindness?

Prayer: Father help me to reflect Jesus in everything I do. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment