Saturday, July 25, 2009

FEATURE FRIDAY


Our featured sister is having a very special day today - her 50th birthday!!! Happy Birthday to Tammie Cannon.

Tammie grew up in Gobler, Missouri and currently lives on the "outskirts" of Gobler! She has been happily married for 32 years to Leon Cannon and has two beautiful daughters. Laura will be 28 this year and Leah just turned 24. They are both married and she calls their husbands her "boys" - Josh is Laura's husband and Andy is Leah's. They have been blessed with three wonderful grandbabies - Levi, 6, and Avery, 3, are Leah and Andy's children. Cannon is almost 21 months and belongs to Laura and Josh. "Those grandbabies are my heart!! God sent them to me to complete my life. I never thought that having grandchildren would be so wonderful. I try to enjoy every moment I can with them. Life passes so quickly and when you are a young mother, you sometimes fail to cherish the things that you have right in front of you. I spent a great deal of time with my girls, but I certainly have chosen to take things slower and enjoy not only being with my grandchildren, but teaching them about God - about a relationship with Him. "

"I have been a Christian since about the age of 12. My grandparents were a huge influence in my Christian walk and it was in a little Baptist church that I gave my heart to the Lord! I had wonderful teaching in that church, but the greatest teachers were my Grandma Ragins and my Grandma and Grandpa Clark - their lives said it all. Later on I married at the age of
17 (almost 18) into a wonderful family and my husband's mother, Sarah Cannon, along with the ladies of Vicksburg Church of God, took me under their wing and taught me about spiritual matters."

"My favorite scripture has to be Psalm 139 - knowing that no matter what, God knows everything about me - what I think, what I say, where I go - everything and He still loves me and cares for me. To know that he formed me in my mother's womb and has a plan for my life - well, how can anyone fail if they trust His word and what He has set forth for us - finding that purpose is a part of the journey with Christ. I have to also add Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Knowing that God prepared me and that He has plans for me gives me so much encouragement and builds my faith daily!!"

Tammie is the oldest of 9 children from a yours, mine, and ours situation!! She says that growing up the oldest was trying, but rewarding, and that, along with being redheaded, contributed to her "strong will". She loves people and loves to encourage and build up. Thus her occupation as a school counselor is perfect. "I refuse to dwell in the land of negativity - life is too short for that. I want to be a part of the solution in all things - not the problem."

Tammie has a great sense of humor and can find humor in the most unlikely situations - not to make fun just to laugh and enjoy life!! She is full of surprises - "I even surprise myself sometimes at the things that I feel free to do - I am in a wonderful place right now in my life and I thank God for it. My journey hasn't been the hardest nor has it been the easiest, but by the grace of God I am what I am in the Lord!!"

Tammie was a member of the Vicksburg Church of God long ago and is a member of Crossroads Worship Center as well as a member of the family of God. At present she serves as Head Greeter and a Stephen minister at Crossroads, two jobs she takes very seriously!!

She shares this scripture with us. I Peter 4:7 & 8 - "The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." "I endeavor to live my life loving others and always aware that the Lord is coming soon!!"

"I love God, I love being a Christian, I love my church family and I love my earthly family. May God bless you all!!" ...and Sister Tammie, we all love you. You are such a blessing and encouragement to each of us. Thank you for being you and blessing us all with your wonderful "red-headed, " crazy personality. We can always depend on you for a laugh, for encouragement, and a Word of truth. You are truly a blessing from the Lord to ALL of us. ...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment